This article is for the great unwashed who think Mike Huckabee is and will be soft on Immigration. READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!
Oh and let’s remind you about Mike’s Immigration plan shall we:
1. Build the Fence
- Ensure that an interlocking surveillance camera system is installed along the border by July 1, 2010.
- Ensure that the border fence construction is completed by July 1, 2010.
2. Increase Border Patrol
- Increase the number of border patrol agents.
- Fully support all law enforcement personnel tasked with enforcing immigration law.
3. Prevent Amnesty
- Policies that promote or tolerate amnesty will be rejected.
- Propose to provide all illegal immigrants a 120-day window to register with the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services and leave the country. Those who register and return to their home country will face no penalty if they later apply to immigrate or visit; those who do not return home will be, when caught, barred from future reentry for a period of 10 years.
- This is not a “touchback” provision. Those who leave this country and apply to return from their home country would go to the back of the line.
4. Enforce the Law on Employers
- Employment is the chief draw for most illegal immigrants and denying them jobs is the centerpiece of an attrition strategy.
- Impose steep fines and penalties on employers that violate the law.
- Institute a universal, mandatory citizenship verification system as part of the normal hiring process.
- Prevent the IRS and the Social Security Administration from accepting fraudulent Social Security numbers or numbers that don’t match the employees’ names.*
5. Establish an Economic Border
- Move toward passage of the FairTax.
- The FairTax provides an extra layer of security by creating an economic disincentive to immigrate to the U.S. illegally.
6. Empower Local Authorities
- Promote better cooperation on enforcement by supporting legislative measures such as the CLEAR Act, which aims to systematize the relationship between local law and federal immigration officials.
- Encourage immigration-law training for police. Local authorities must be provided the tools, training, and funding they need so local police can turn illegal immigrants over to the federal authorities.
7. Ensure Document Security
- End exemptions for Mexicans and Canadians to the US-VISIT program, which tracks the arrival and departure of foreign visitors. Since these countries account for the vast majority of foreigners coming here (85 percent), such a policy clearly violates Congress’ intent in mandating this check-in/check-out system.
- Reject Mexico’s “matricula consular” card, which functions as an illegal-immigrant identification card.
8. Discourage Dual Citizenship
- Inform foreign governments when their former citizens become naturalized U.S. citizens.
- Impose civil and/or criminal penalties on American citizens who illegitimately use their dual status (e.g., using a foreign passport, voting in elections in both a foreign country and the U.S.).
9. Modernize the Process of Legal Immigration
- Eliminate the visa lottery system and the admission category for adult brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens.
- Increase visas for highly-skilled and highly-educated applicants.
- Expedite processing for those who serve honorably in the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Improve our immigration process so that those patiently and responsibly seeking to come here legally will not have to wait decades to share in the American dream. Governor Huckabee has always been grateful to live in a country that people are trying to break into, rather than break out of.
*This policy will be drafted to comply with the final federal court decisions on this issue.